Friday, July 29, 2011

Breakfast. - a brief post.


So normally I make the same breakfast most days of the week.  I make a bowl of cereal (normally cheerios), mixed with yogurt and fresh fruit. I like my breakfast. I eat it most days.   So I realized that I wouldn't be having my breakfast the way I normally do, at least until I find a way to make yogurt (easy, but time consuming) and cheerios (no idea) from scratch.  I had baked some delicious bread the night before, and made jam and butter, so I could have jam and butter on toast, like I did today.  But normally I like a little protein on the menu, so I went with eggs.  Or, more accurately, I went with AN egg. One. The loneliest. . . . Never mind.

I decided on something pretty simple, but delicious.  If I were being fancy, I'd call it caprese breakfast sandwich or something.  See-- Insta fancy. But in my mind it was just egg and bread with some garnishes.

First, I sliced bread. That's pretty self explanatory.  Then  I fried an egg.  Yes, my pan was a little too hot.  The egg bubbled in a way that I wish it hadn't.  But it still tasted good. Once the white had started to set, I sprinkled some salt over the egg.


 ---A note on salt--- When I say salt, unless I specify otherwise, I use kosher salt, not iodized table salt.  Table salt leaves a one note bitter taste in the mouth. That's all. ---


While My egg cooked (Don't worry, I turned the pan down) I started assembling my sandwich.  I laid some good basil on the slice of bread. Because I like basil.  Then I turned back to the egg and flipped it over. I was going for over easy, since that works well in a sandwich.







Next, I put my over-easy egg on top of the basil. I poured a stream of good balsamic vinegar over the egg.  I like the whole acidic thing, and good balsamic makes almost everything just a little better.   I used a little more vinegar than what is shown here. I evened it out a bit.







Next, I put some slices of good, ripe, heirloom tomatoes (because that's what I had) on top of the eggs.  I sprinkled a little salt on the tomatoes too. Like eggs, tomatoes do a bit better with salt. It really brings out the sweetness of the tomatoes.








Next, The top slice of bread.  And, with a little squeeze, some of my perfect, over easy egg yolk oozed out. I like it when it does that. It makes instant sauce for my sandwich. And I like my sandwiches saucy. . .heh.



This is a pretty good, relatively healthy breakfast. If you need a little more fuel, or have a bigger calorie budget than I do, you can always add another egg, or a slice of cheese.   It was delicious as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment